Thursday, February 16, 2012

Second day of bread making

Today I'm trying a "Light Whole Wheat Bread" recipe found in the 1998 Salton/Maxim Housewares, Inc. Booklet. The "original" recipe was written as follows:

Light Whole Wheat Bread

Add all ingredients to Bread Pan in the order given.

Makes a 1-1/2 lb. Loaf Makes a 2 lb. Loaf

1-1/4 cup warm water 1-1/2 cup warm water

1 Tbl. Vegetable oil 1 Tbl. Vegetable oil

2 Tbl. Honey 3 Tbl. Honey

1/2 tsp. Salt 1/2 tsp. Salt

1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour 2-1/4 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup bread flour 1-1/4 cup bread flour

1/4 cup gluten 1/3 cup gluten

1-1/2 tsp. Active dry yeast 2 tsp. Active dry yeast

(Missing from this photo is the yeast)

Cooking Directions:

I used the recipe for the 2 lb loaf, exchanging the Tablespoon of Vegetable oil for a Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Mostly because my oil choices on hand were evoo, peanut, sunflower and sesame. I put everything into the bread maker in the order it's listed above. Look at the directions for your bread maker, as they may suggest adding ingredients in a different order than mine does. I used the bread maker's Whole Wheat setting for a 2 lb loaf, and used the "Light" crust setting per mom's suggestion.

My Impression of the finished bread:

This came out great! It rose higher than I expected, you can almost cut one slice in half and make two slices out of it. The texture was about the same as a good quality store bought whole wheat loaf, but way cheaper. This one will be one I make on a regular basis to replace what we would usually buy at the grocery store.

I really like the “Everything” Bagels, and want to either find or create a bread recipe that has the same flavor combination. My wife is wanting some type of Cheesy Bread. Guess those will be coming up soon. If you know of a good recipe for these or any other breads you think I might want to try, please let me know.

As you can see from the photo of the ingredients, I like shopping at HEB. As far as I know, they are only located in Texas. Too bad for the rest of the world. They have great selection and prices. The one I shop at has a bulk food section where you can by as much or as little of all sorts of items, including the gluten I used in this recipe, and the rolled oats I used in yesterday's recipe.

Until next time, Happy Baking! And be sure to tell all your friends about my blog!

Jerry

3 comments:

  1. Jerry, you done good!
    This is a Beautiful loaf of bread! And after only two tries!
    Now of coarse, some times there will be failures. That's Life!
    I am proud of you. Eat to your Health! Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you mom! :)
    There are so many tried & true recipes out there that "in theory", a person should be able to make a perfect loaf every time. Or so I would think. But you would have to follow the recipe exactly, and have your machine settings set correctly. I think that's one of the problems I had with the first loaf. Aside from having the crust setting on MED instead of LIGHT, I also had it set for a 2 lb loaf, and that finished loaf was no where near the same size as this whole wheat loaf was.
    The other thing that will make my loafs "fail" is that I will tweak the recipe, or try entirely new recipes from my head. Once I figure out all the machine settings, and get a good grasp on the dry to wet to yeast ratios, I think I'll have a lot of fun making up new recipes.
    I've always liked the flavor of the "Everything" bagels, and haven't found a bread recipe for it. But that's not going to stop me from making one up and experimenting with it. :) You know how I like to play in the kitchen.
    I love you mom! And thanks for giving me the love of good food and the freedom and encouragement to get in the kitchen and play!
    And Mona says she's thankful I love to cook too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am too Mona! Just wished it wasn't so far to run over for a good bite to eat!
    Waiting for loaf #3!

    ReplyDelete